06/12/2006

Nikolaus

Today is “Nikolaus” here in Germany. Maybe lots of you don’t know what this is about so I’ll give you some information.



Saint Nick


When Germany was being Christianized in the early Middle Ages, St. Nicholas, a 4th century bishop of Asia Minor, became popular here.

St. Nicholas is the patron saint of children and his feast day is December 6th.

Most German children polish their shoes or boots and put them out on the doorstep during the night between the 5th and 6th, only to find them stuffed with little presents in the morning. But some of them maybe won’t find goodies.
St. Nick carries with him a book of sins with which he determined whether the child warrants the goodies or a birch of twigs (“Rute”).

Historically, St. Nick rode a white horse and he traveled with a dark-faced companion, most commonly called Knecht Ruprecht, although several other names were used for him in some parts of Germany.

St. Nick looks like Santa Claus. But German children distinctly distinguish between the Weihnachtsmann (Santa Claus) and the Nikolaus (St. Nick).


I didn’t find anything on our doorstep this morning. Maybe because I forgot to put out my boots? Or maybe St. Nick thinks I’m too old for this tradition?

I’m definitely not!!! I’m still a child at heart!

So I’ll go to my daddy’s house to see if Nikolaus was there (maybe he doesn’t know my new address…) ;-)

I'll tell you tomorrow....





3 Comments:

Blogger Gattina said...

I didn't find anything either, but happy to find your blog in time !

Wollte nämlich gerade auch über Weihnachtsgebräuche schreiben zum Teil habe ich das auch schon. Ich komme von Wystful und bin ganz überrascht dass ich hier eine Landsmännin finde ! Immerhing gibt es doch auch einige Unterschiede, bei mir kam nie der Weihnachtsmann sondern das Christkind und brachte die Geschenke das muss ich auch noch erklären. Hi, hi ! Komm mich mal besuchen !

12/06/2006 3:24 pm  
Blogger Darla said...

Nikolaus definitely visited our house Tuesday night. He brought Kindereier & Smarties. :)

12/07/2006 2:45 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wir wünschen Euch einen fröhlichen (verspäteten) Nikolaus-Abend =)

HOHOHO

12/08/2006 10:03 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home